Thursday, January 29, 2015

Upa

Crazy idiot fool

The Chinese import Ronco 250 cc todo-terreno bike

I'm on the edge of entering into a year's contract with what I know to be a totally unreliable flake. I've dealt with her before and she has always let me down. Scroll down to the early posts (don't bother) and you'll see that she rented me a house on the provision that she'd move out of the first floor (bed, bath, dining room, kitchen) after fifteen days. She never did. Still hasn't. I lost faith and moved to these two room a after three months.  

Now I want a bigger place with a kitchen, and all I've run into so far is her; she's eager to rent to me because she's moving to Argentina for a year, she says; I think the S./800 a month would be pretty tasty to her, and I'd be on the property to scare off invaders. 



Today we talked, she and I agreed to a year's contract that would cancel if I have to leave the country for the long term. She said we’d get the contract to sign on the 9th, I can move in on the 10th. That a young man with a truck will move me at 6 pm.


Then, as I was leaving, she stopped me to say that she’s leaving for Bolivia on the 7th and won’t be back until the 29th. Like that hadn’t occurred to her before? As for moving to Argentina for a year? Now she’s saying she’ll return in June or July. Total turnabout. And I’m trusting her?

No. I’m figuring that she probably won’t move out of the place by the agreed date so then I’ll shrug off the whole deal; and if she does, the power of possession is in my hands, so what she says and does won’t much matter. I kinda doubt she'll get it together to have a judge write up a contract.

Well, the place is groovy, the surround is awesome, the price is right, and I won't move if it isn't totally ready for me on the 9th.


Still, I would tell anybody else to get as far away from that situation as they could without leaving the breathable atmosphere. And here I am.


Well, the couchsurfers will like having a kitchen, a bunch of them are way into cooking. It'll be a longer walk to town but they're all young and strong and won't mind.


The Couchsurfer thing seem to be in a golden age; anyway, it has, so far, paid off amazingly well - no real lemons, and some great experiences. Smart, ballsy, aware, informed people who have given me some really fine conversation and experience. It'll probably dilute as the word gets out, "regression toward the mean," but right now it is either in its sublime phase or I've been very lucky.


Likewise, the exercise of discipline and the discipline of exercise has worked out - I can climb those hills now far beyond what I could when I came, with much less trepidation and measurably more stamina. Can't get rid of the paunch, though, too much carbohydrate in the diet. I'm off cheese and chocolate now, see if that helps.


The bike too - did I tell you I got a motorbike? - is teaching me to trust it, just gun on through the rough stuff and don't get hypnotized by the road.


So it's okay, all okay. Whoever said this is summer down here - I think that was me - is demented; the solstices are reversed, that's true, the longest day here is the shortest there, but this is the wet season; gray, chill, and rainy. Not summer. But seasons change, time passes, life's life. I have to go back up to Washington in early March to pick up mail - W2's etc. - use the non-refundable pre-paid ticket, and renew the visa, but I'll be back for a while more. Should put in at least a year to earn my stripes. 


Glad to have the correspondence with you up north there; takes the edge off the distance.


One of the couchsurfaires, a Norwegian girl, asked me if I missed the States. I said, not really, this is enough. I'd like to be order stuff online and have it delivered, and more kinds of cheese, but otherwise, this is a beautiful place, and that's enough.


Funny thing: my 10x binoculars must have got knocked out of whack, they turned cross-eyed. I figured, that's it for them, can't fix them here, or at all, they're sealed units - so, what the hell, if impact knocked them out of kilter, maybe it'll knock them back in. A stupid idea. So I dropped them from shoulder height to the concrete floor. Twice. And Lo, it worked. They came back into alignment. Moral: sometimes being a crazy idiot fool is just the ticket. Try it sometime. Just for the experience. 



No comments:

Post a Comment